- Professor in Biological Research on Drug Dependence at the Faculty of Pharmacy, Uppsala University
- Head of Research Issues at Uppsala University forum for research on addiction to medical products and illegal drugs
- Member of The Swedish Governmental Addiction (ANDT) Advisory Board
Fred Nyberg, PhD has over 400 publications in internationally recognized industry and research journals, and his recent honors include the reward Sigillum of the Ateneo at University of Bologna in 2005, as well as appointments as Karl Johan Öbrink Lecturer at BMC in 2007, and Visiting Professor at Hoshi University, Tokyo (Japan) in 2009. He received the Swedish CAN prize for research on drug addiction in 2011, the ECAD prize in 2015 and the Rudbeck medal for oustanding research in 2017.
Dr. Fred Nyberg, former Dean of The Faculty of Pharmacy, is currently Head of research issues at Uppsala University Forum for Research on Addiction to Medical Products and illegal Drugs and a Full Professor at the Division of Biological Research on Drug Dependence, Department of Pharmaceutical Biosciences, Uppsala University. Dr. Nyberg received his PhD in 1981 on a thesis directed to studies on the polymorphism of the pituitary hormone prolactin, and subsequently performed postdoc studies on opioid peptides in relation to chronic pain and opioid addiction.
Dr. Nyberg was appointed as researcher at the Swedish Medical Research Council in 1985, and between 1988-1992 he was employed as Professor in Pharmacology at the Department of Pharmacology, Faculty of Pharmacy, Uppsala University. In 1993 he was appointed by the Swedish Government as Professor for Biological Research on Drug Dependence at the Swedish Medical Research Council, then between 2002-2007 he was employed by the Swedish Government as Head of Research Issues at the National Drug Policy Coordinator. Since 2008 he has joined the Advisory Board at the ANDT unit at the Social Ministry dealing with questions related to drugs and drug addiction. Dr. Nyberg was Chairman for the Department of Pharmaceutical Biosciences between 1999- 2006, and in 2006 he was appointed as Dean at the Faculty of Pharmacy at Uppsala University. He is an active member of the NIDA-supported International Narcotic Research Conference (INRC) and served as president for the organization 2014-2018.
Dr. Nyberg’s field of expertise is neuropharmacology with particular emphasis on neuroendocrine and peptidergic mechanisms in chronic pain and drug dependence. He has over 400 publications in internationally well-recognized research journals. His research has been directed to molecular mechanism in chronic pain and drug addiction but it also extends to other areas related to neuroendocrinology, neurology and Psychiatry. He has published several articles on e.g. gene polymorphism in patients with chronic pain and addictive disorders.
- Zetterström A, Hämäläinen MD, Karlberg E, Winkvist M, Söderquist M, Öhagen P, Andersson Alcohol Alcohol. 2019 Jan 1;54(1):70-72.
- Hämäläinen MD, Zetterström A, Winkvist M, Söderquist M, Karlberg E, Öhagen P, Andersson K, Nyberg F. Real-time Monitoring using a breathalyzer-based eHealth system can identify lapse/relapse patterns in alcohol use disorder Patients. Alcohol Alcohol. 2018 Jul 1;53(4):368-375.
- Nylander E, Zelleroth S, Nyberg F, Grönbladh A, Hallberg M. The Protective and Restorative Effects of Growth Hormone and Insulin-Like Growth Factor-1 on Methadone-Induced Toxicity In Vitro. Int J Mol Sci. 2018 Nov 17;19(11). pii: E3627. doi: 10.3390/ijms19113627.
- Kakko J, Gedeon C, Sandell M, Grelz H, Birkemose I, Clausen T, Rúnarsdóttir V, Simojoki K, Littlewood R, Alho H, Nyberg F. Principles for managing OUD related to chronic pain in the Nordic countries based on a structured assessment of current practice. Subst Abuse Treat Prev Policy. 2018 Jun 1;13(1):22. doi: 10.1186/s13011-018-0160-7. Review.
- Brolin E, Zelleroth S, Jonsson A, Hallberg M, Grönbladh A, Nyberg F. Chronic administration of morphine using mini-osmotic pumps affects spatial memory in the male rat. Pharmacol Biochem Behav. 2018 Apr;167:1-8
- Lesniak A, Aarnio M, Diwakarla S, Norberg T, Nyberg F, Gordh T. Characterization of the binding site for d-deprenyl in human inflamed synovial membrane. Life Sci. 2018 Feb 1;194:26-33.
- Skogh A, Lesniak A, Gaugaz FZ, Svensson R, Lindeberg G, Fransson R, Nyberg F, Hallberg M, Sandström A. Impact of N-methylation of the substance P 1-7 amide on anti-allodynic effect in mice after peripheral administration. Eur J Pharm Sci. 2017 Nov 15;109:533- 540.
- Nylander E, Grönbladh A, Zelleroth S, Diwakarla S, Nyberg F, Hallberg M. Growth hormone is protective against acute methadone-induced toxicity by modulating the NMDA receptor complex. Neuroscience. 2016 Dec 17;339:538-547.
- Kalliomäki ML, Sandblom G, Hallberg M, Grönbladh A, Gunnarsson U, Gordh T, Ginya H, Nyberg F. Genetic susceptibility to postherniotomy pain. The influence of polymorphisms in the Mu opioid receptor, TNF-α, GRIK3, GCH1, BDNF and CACNA2D2 genes. Scand J Pain. 2016 Jul;12:1-6.
- Lai Z, Yin H, Cabrera-Pérez J, Guimaro MC, Afione S, Michael DG, Glenton P, Patel A, Swaim WD, Zheng C, Nguyen CQ, Nyberg F, Chiorini JA. Aquaporin gene therapy corrects Sjögren’s syndrome phenotype in mice. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2016 May 17;113(20):5694-9.
- Philippot G, Nyberg F, Gordh T, Fredriksson A, Viberg H. Short-term exposure and long-term consequences of neonatal exposure to Δ(9)-tetrahydrocannabinol (THC) and ibuprofen in mice. Behav Brain Res. 2016 Jul 1;307:137-44.
- Nehlin C, Nyberg F, Jess K.Brief Intervention Within Primary Care for At-Risk Gambling: A Pilot Study. J Gambl Stud. 2016 Dec;32(4):1327-1335.
- Pettersson FD, Hellgren C, Nyberg F, Åkerud H, Sundström-Poromaa I. Depressed mood, anxiety, and the use of labor analgesia. Arch Womens Ment Health. 2016 Feb;19(1):11-6.
- Jonsson A, Fransson R, Haramaki Y, Skogh A, Brolin E, Watanabe H, Nordvall G, Hallberg M,
Sandström A, Nyberg F. Small constrained SP1-7 analogs bind to a unique site and promote anti-allodynic effects following systemic injection in mice. Neuroscience. 2015 Jul 9;298:112-9.
- Watanabe H, Fitting S, Hussain MZ, Kononenko O, Iatsyshyna A, Yoshitake T, Kehr J, Alkass K, Druid H, Wadensten H, Andren PE, Nylander I, Wedell DH, Krishtal O, Hauser KF, Nyberg F, Karpyak VM, Yakovleva T, Bakalkin G. Asymmetry of the endogenous opioid system in the human anterior cingulate: a putative molecular basis for lateralization of emotions and pain. Cereb Cortex. 2015 Jan;25(1):97-108.
- Heddini U, Bohm-Starke N, Grönbladh A, Nyberg F, Nilsson KW, Johannesson U. Serotonin receptor gene (5HT-2A) polymorphism is associated with provoked vestibulodynia and comorbid symptoms of pain. J Sex Med. 2014 Dec;11(12):3064-71.
- Heddini U, Johannesson U, Grönbladh A, Nyberg F, Nilsson KW, Bohm-Starke N.A118G polymorphism in the μ-opioid receptor gene and levels of β-endorphin are associated with provoked vestibulodynia and pressure pain sensitivity. Scand J Pain. 2014 Jan 1;5(1):10-16.
- Al Shemaili J, Mensah-Brown E, Parekh K, Thomas SA, Attoub S, Hellman B, Nyberg F, Adem A, Collin P, Adrian TE. Frondoside A enhances the antiproliferative effects of gemcitabine in pancreatic cancer. Eur J Cancer. 2014 May;50(7):1391-8.
- Nehlin C, Nyberg F, Oster C.The Patient’s Perspective on the Link Between ADHD and Substance Use: A Qualitative Interview Study. J Atten Disord. 2014 Oct 30. pii:1087054714554618. [Epub ahead of print] PMID: 25359762.
- Righard L, Carlsson-Jonsson A, Nyberg F. Enhanced levels of immunoreactive β-casomorphin-8
in milk of breastfeeding women with mastitis. Peptides. 2014 Jan;51:54-8.
- Heddini U, Bohm-Starke N, Grönbladh A, Nyberg F, Nilsson KW, Johannesson U. Serotonin
receptor gene (5HT-2A) polymorphism is associated with provoked vestibulodynia and comorbid symptoms of pain. J Sex Med. 2014 Dec;11(12):3064-71. doi: 10.1111/jsm.12685. Epub 2014 Sep 1. PMID: 25174699.
- Nyberg F. Structural plasticity of the brain to psychostimulant use. Neuropharmacology. 2014 Dec;87:115-24. doi: 10.1016/j.neuropharm.2014.07.004. Epub 2014 Jul 11. PMID: 25018041.
- Carlsson-Jonsson A, Gao T, Hao JX, Fransson R, Sandström A, Nyberg F, Wiesenfeld-Hallin Z, Xu XJ. N-terminal truncations of substance P 1-7 amide affect its action on spinal cord injury-induced mechanical allodynia in rats. Eur J Pharmacol. 2014 Sep 5;738:319-25. doi: 10.1016/j.ejphar.2014.05.060. Epub 2014 Jun 13. PMID: 24933646.
- Grönbladh A, Johansson J, Nyberg F, Hallberg M. Administration of growth hormone and nandrolone decanoate alters mRNA expression of the GABAB receptor subunits as well as of the GH receptor, IGF-1, and IGF-2 in rat brain. Growth Horm IGF Res. 2014 Apr- Jun;24(2-3):60-6. doi: 10.1016/j.ghir.2014.01.002. Epub 2014 Jan 16. PMID: 24480470.
- Pope HG Jr, Wood RI, Rogol A, Nyberg F, Bowers L, Bhasin S. Adverse health consequences of performance-enhancing drugs: an Endocrine Society scientific statement. Endocr Rev. 2014 Jun;35(3):341-75. doi: 10.1210/er.2013-1058. Epub 2013 Dec 17. Review. PMID: 24423981.
- Ali MA, Kazzam E, Amir N, Nyberg F, Adem A. Effects of dehydration and blockade of angiotensin II AT1 receptor on stress hormones and anti-oxidants in the one-humped camel. BMC Vet Res. 2013 Nov 19;9:232. doi: 10.1186/1746-6148-9-232. PMID: 24252635.
- Hallberg M, Nyberg F. [Still unclear whether steroids induces addiction on its own]. Lakartidningen. 2013 Sep 25-Oct 8;110(39-40):1736-9. Review. Swedish. PMID: 24245429.
- Watanabe H, Fitting S, Hussain MZ, Kononenko O, Iatsyshyna A, Yoshitake T, Kehr J, Alkass K, Druid H, Wadensten H, Andren PE, Nylander I, Wedell DH, Krishtal O, Hauser KF, Nyberg F, Karpyak VM, Yakovleva T, Bakalkin G. Asymmetry of the endogenous opioid system in the human anterior cingulate: a putative molecular basis for lateralization of emotions and pain. Cereb Cortex. 2015 Jan;25(1):97-108. doi: 10.1093/cercor/bht204. Epub 2013 Aug 19. PMID: 23960211.
- Fransson R, Sköld C, Kratz JM, Svensson R, Artursson P, Nyberg F, Hallberg M, Sandström A. Constrained H-Phe-Phe-NH2 analogues with high affinity to the substance P 1-7 binding site and with improved metabolic stability and cell permeability. J Med Chem. 2013 Jun 27;56(12):4953-65. doi: 10.1021/jm400209h. Epub 2013 Jun 17. PMID: 23735006.
- Nyberg F, Hallberg M. Growth hormone and cognitive function. Nat Rev Endocrinol. 2013 Jun;9(6):357- 65. doi: 10.1038/nrendo.2013.78. Epub 2013 Apr 30. Review. PMID: 23629538.
- Adem A, Al Haj M, Benedict S, Yasin J, Nagelkerke N, Nyberg F, Yandle TG, Frampton CM, Lewis LK, Nicholls MG, Kazzam E. ANP and BNP responses to dehydration in the one- humped camel and effects of blocking the renin-angiotensin system. PLoS One. 2013;8(3):e57806. doi: 10.1371/journal.pone.0057806. Epub 2013 Mar 13. PMID: 23516417.
- Rhodin A, Grönbladh A, Ginya H, Nilsson KW, Rosenblad A, Zhou Q, Enlund M, Hallberg M, Gordh T, Nyberg F. Combined analysis of circulating β-endorphin with gene polymorphisms in OPRM1, CACNAD2 and ABCB1 reveals correlation with pain, opioid sensitivity and opioid-related side effects. Mol Brain. 2013 Feb 12;6:8. doi: 10.1186/1756-6606-6-8. PMID: 23402298.
- Dominguez CA, Kalliomäki M, Gunnarsson U, Moen A, Sandblom G, Kockum I, Lavant E, Olsson T, Nyberg F, Rygh LJ, Røe C, Gjerstad J, Gordh T, Piehl F. The DQB1 *03:02 HLA haplotype is associated with increased risk of chronic pain after inguinal hernia surgery and lumbar disc herniation. Pain. 2013 Mar;154(3):427-33. doi: 10.1016/j.pain.2012.12.003. Epub 2012 Dec 13. PMID: 23318129.
- Enhamre-Brolin E, Carlsson A, Hallberg M, Nyberg F. Growth hormone reverses streptozotocin-induced cognitive impairments in male mice. Behav Brain Res. 2013 Feb 1;238:273-8. doi: 10.1016/j.bbr.2012.10.036. Epub 2012 Nov 1. PMID: 23124136.
- Grönbladh A, Johansson J, Nöstl A, Nyberg F, Hallberg M. GH improves spatial memory and reverses certain anabolic androgenic steroid-induced effects in intact rats. J Endocrinol. 2013 Jan 2;216(1):31-41. doi: 10.1530/JOE-12-0315. Print 2013 Jan. PMID: 23092877.
- Johansson J, Grönbladh A, Nyberg F, Hallberg M. Application of in vitro [35S]GTPγ-S autoradiography in studies of growth hormone effects on opioid receptors in the male rat brain. Brain Res Bull. 2013 Jan;90:100-6. doi: 10.1016/j.brainresbull.2012.09.008. Epub 2012 Oct 11. PMID: 23063719.
- Isaksson J, Nilsson KW, Nyberg F, Hogmark A, Lindblad F. Cortisol levels in children with attention-deficit/hyperactivity disorder. J Psychiatr Res. 2012 Nov;46(11):1398-405. doi: 10.1016/j.jpsychires.2012.08.021. Epub 2012 Sep 10. PMID:22974590.