Shyamasundaran Kottilil, MBBS, PhD is the Associate Director of the Division of Clinical Care and Research at the Institute of Human Virology (IHV), University of Maryland, Baltimore MD. Dr. Kottilil also serves as the Director of the Clinical Trials Unit, Division of Infectious Diseases at the IHV. Dr. Kottilil continues to work as the Scientific Director of the NIH-District of Columbia Program for AIDS Progress. He received his medical degree from Govt Medical College, Trichur, India, Ph.D (immunology of HIV infection) from Memorial University of Newfoundland, Canada, completed a residency in Internal Medicine from Brown University, Rhode Island and a fellowship in infectious diseases from the National Institutes of Health under Dr. Anthony S. Fauci.
He has conducted several pivotal investigator initiated studies in hepatitis C and has authored over 200 peer-reviewed publications. Dr. Kottilil serves as one of the founding members of the US National hepatitis C treatment guidance panel. He is a Fellow of the American College of Physician (FACP), Infectious Diseases Society of America (FIDSA). He has received numerous awards including National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases (NIAID) Meritorious service award for Innovations in Science (2014) and NIH Outstanding Mentor award (2013). Dr. Kottilil has mentored over 30 MDs and Ph.Ds during his academic career.
- Kottilil S, Polis MA, Kovacs JA. HIV Infection, Hepatitis C infection, and HAART: Hard Clinical Choices. JAMA. (2004), 292:243-50.
- Moir S, Malaspina A, Pickeral OK, Donoghue ET, Vasquez J, Miller NJ, Krishnan SR, Planta MA, Turney JF, Justement JS, Kottilil S, Dybul M, Mican JM, Kovacs C, Chun TW, Birse CE, and Fauci AS. Survival of B Cells of HIV-viremic Patients Mediated by Altered Expression of Receptors of the TNF Super family. J Exp Med. (2004), 200:587-99.
- Fauci AS Mavilio D, and Kottilil S. NK cells in HIV infection: Paradigm for Protection or Targets for Ambush. Nat Rev Immunol. (2005), 5: 835-43.
- Arthos J, Cicala C, Martinelli E, Macleod K, Van Ryk D, Wei D, Xiao Z, Veenstra T, Conrad TP, Lempicki RA, Cruz C, Censoplano N, Chung E, Reitano KN, Kottilil S,Goode D, Fauci AS. The HIV-1 Envelope Binds to a4b7 integrin, the gut mucosal homing receptor. Nat Immunol. (2008), 9:301-309.
- Moir S, Ho J, Malaspina A, Wang W, DiPoto AC, O’Shea MA, Roby G, Kottilil S, Arthos J, Proschan MA, Chun TW, Fauci AS. Evidence for HIV-associated B cell exhaustion in a dysfunctional memory B cell compartment in HIV-infected viremic individuals. J Exp Med. (2008), 205:1797-805.
- Kottilil S., Yan MY Reitano KN, Zhang X, Lempicki RA, Roby G, Daucher M, Yang J, Ghany M, Polis MA, and Fauci AS. HIV and HCV infections induce distinct immunologic imprints with implications for the pathogenesis of liver disease and therapeutic response to interferon-alpha. Hepatology (2009), 50:34-45
- Hadigan C and Kottilil S. Hepatitis C virus infection and coinfection with human immunodeficiency virus: challenges and advancements in management. JAMA(2011), 306:294-301.
- Naggie S, Osinusi A, Katsounas A, Lempicki RA, Herrmann E, Schlaak JF, Shivakumar B, Masur H, Polis MA, Kottilil S. Dysregulation Of Host Innate Immunity In HIV/HCV Genotype 1 Infected IL28B CT/TT Haplotype Patients Associated With Depressed Viral Kinetics And Therapeutic Response. Hepatology (2012), 56:444-54.